Monday, September 28, 2009

Autumn Leaves

Fall is unfolding beautifully in and around Park City. As the days shorten and temperatures cool, the green leaves of summer give way to a stunning palette of reds, oranges, and golds. The air is crisp and clear, the crowds have left, and the trails are breathtakingly beautiful. I find myself wanting to spend all my time outdoors with my camera, for each day is a new unfolding of color that wasn't there the day before. I've uploaded 73 of the 730 photos taken over the weekend to Snapfish. Take a peep if you are interested :


Two factors influence how and why leaves change color in the fall: less daylight and the weather. As days grow shorter and nights are longer and cooler, leaves begin to change color. During spring and summer, chlorophyll, the food factory of leaves and the thing that makes them appear green, is continually produced. As night length increases in the fall, chlorophyll disappears and other leaf substances remain, giving leaves their fall colors.

Certain colors are characteristic of particular tree species. Oaks turn red, brown, or russet; aspen golden yellow, and maples red and orange. While the absence of chlorophyll allows for the change of leaf color, the brilliance of those colors depends on the weather and the amount of moisture in the soil, making some years better than others. The Park City area had late snows last spring and a lot of early summer rains, giving us a splendid color show this autumn!

Most of my creative ideas have been inspired while in nature. While hiking the Park City area last fall, I brought my pruning shears and a large cloth bag with me to collect dried leaves, berries, grasses, wildflowers that caught my eye. I then created a wreath of all my findings, a photo of which I share here. This will now be an annual ritual, and I look forward to another creation this week.

No matter what part of the country you are in, get out into nature to enjoy Autumn's beauty.


No comments: