Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tweet Tweet



Spring is here! The other day I discovered a nest with one egg tucked in the container of flowers hanging on our front door. A new egg has appeared each day since, and there are now four. I haven't gotten a good look at mom, but believe she is either a warbler or a nuthatch. I was initially concerned because our house is up for sale and there have been a lot of people coming through the front door the last couple of weeks, but mom bird apparently doesn't mind. I read that most songbirds will lay an egg a day and sit on their eggs for 12-14 days. The baby birds are able to leave the nest about 14 days later and can fly a few days after that. I'll keep everyone posted on how things progress. This is a perfect example of the wonders of nature that occur right outside our front door (literally, in this case).


2 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

What a beautiful blog site. I think it’s a fantastic idea. The nest is so sweet….hopefully when the babies are born you can snap a few photos and keep everyone posted on the progression of the babies before they fledge. When they are born you will start to hear them cry for their Mom when she leaves to go get food. Pretty darn awesome. Now I will be curious to check the blog every few days…........see what you started.

Unknown said...

Great idea!!!!! I will see nature through your eyes! Please keep us posted....Love you! Teresa